ADVANCED STRUCTURES SPECIALIST, MODIFIED ON-LINE TRAINING: October 22-24, 2022 (0900 TO 1800 CENTRAL DAYLIGHT TIME)
The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s National Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) Response System, in conjunction with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), has scheduled a VIRTUAL Advanced Structures Specialist Course (StS2) to be held October 22-24, 2022 via Zoom video conferencing application. Current fiscal constraints preclude in-person delivery of the StS2 training at this time.
This course will consist of a series of tabletop scenarios and lectures that will challenge students to exercise disaster engineering judgment and make the type of decisions that are required at an actual rescue response site. In addition, demonstrations will be presented on subjects such as wireless monitoring equipment, shore failure testing and confined space operations. There will also be case study presentations of past and recent incidents in order to focus on the lessons learned from the Structures Specialist standpoint.
Each Task Force may register more than one Structures Specialist. However, in order to accommodate at least one StS from each Task Force, a wait list will be generated with first come, first served priority. The class will be limited to 25 students maximum.
To ensure that your Task Force has the opportunity to participate in this valuable training please submit your applications by October 3, 2022 (select “Training Applications” from the top menu and click on the desired training course). All students and their Task Forces will be notified of acceptance. The training is provided at no charge to the student.
Course Logistical Information:
Dates: Oct 22-24, 2022 (Total of Three Days – Saturday through Monday)
Time: 0900 thru 1800 CENTRAL DAYLIGHT TIME (to include lunch and breaks) daily
A more detailed schedule will be provided following registration.
Training Source: Live Zoom Video Conferencing
Zoom meeting invitations will be sent to the email provided by students during their registration.
Requirements for Attendance:
- The course will be on-line using Zoom hosted by Michael Barker at the University of Wyoming.
- You will need a computer with the Zoom application, a webcam and audio (speakers & microphone) for class interactions and discussions.
- Several will be asked to volunteer and show exercise results. So, a scanner to PDF or phone picture and uploading for discussions will be effective (as long as several have this capability).
- Download student handouts prior to attendance. A link will be provided to the email provided by students during their registration
- A Zoom invitation link will be sent to you via Michael Barker’s email/meeting invitation.
- Follow the instructions for registering for the Zoom meeting.
- When you log into Zoom, enter your full name and email address in order to send you the Certificate of Completion & discussion identification.
- Log in a little early to work out any issues – Zoom meeting will open at 8:30 am CDT.
- Additional instructions and details will be provided in advance of the class.
Jeff Qunell: Jeffrey.j.Qunell@usace.army.mil, 415-503-6616
Pete Keating: Keating@civil.tamu.edu, 979-574-4797
Dave Hammond: firstname.lastname@example.org, 650-704-7069